Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Home in Gaborone!

When people think of African politics, they usually think chaos. Rebellion. Corruption. Crime.

Such is not the case with Botswana. This is a stable, peaceful country. The people are friendly. Crime is rare. Corruption is not tolerated. In the face of the AIDS crisis here - with 40% of the adult population infected, and perhaps a third of the children orphaned - this is a great testament to the character of the people here. The most serious problem in Botswana is public health, and I feel privileged to have the opportunity to play a small role in tackling it.

In the meanwhile, I've arrived in my new home at the Penn Flats.  Our living room is pictured to the right.  This is a beautiful place, complete with wireless internet access (here I am!) via satellite uplink... amazing, anywhere you go in the world, there's always the World Wide Web. I also have a rental cell phone (yes, Mom, I'll make sure you get the number...).  For now I even have my own bedroom, though I'll probably have to share later.  I share my flat with some great new roommates who are medical students and residents from UPenn.

Tomorrow, I start at Princess Marina Hospital, here in the capital city of Gaborone (pronounced hab-or-O-nee).  The hospital is overwhelmed, as you might imagine, and residents and students here lament that they cannot do more for their patients.  Having said that, Botswana is to be commended for having the most progressive medical care in the world... they were the first country to provide free antiretroviral therapy to all its citizens.  

More later...

3 comments:

nathanhellman said...

Hi Nir!

Welcome to the blogosphere and I look forward to hearing what you think of practicing medicine in Botswana!

Say hi to the Penn gang for me.

Nate.

Liz said...

Nice digs! Didn't know about your upcoming adventures - very cool. I look forward to following on your blog!
Liz

Moosie Goosie said...

Hi Nir! Glad you made it.
Play nice with the elephants!

Anne